Project Wonderful

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are you Campaignsick?

It happens every year after election day. For the first few weeks, I go on vacation, I sleep, I see my friends. Then one day I wake up with this manic feeling that I have to do something.

If there is one lesson I learned from working for OFA, it's the importance of not letting our skills get rusty. Here are 5 ways to remain connected during the off season, without hoping back in whole hog.

1) Rootscamp or other professional development programs. I have not been to a Rootscamp event myself but I was at the NOI Campaign Manager training last year and it awesome. I learned a lot, and I'm me. I would be endorsing them ANYWAY, but while you are on their page, you can click here to vote for me for the Most Valuable Organizer of 2010.

2) Talk to your Representatives We got them elected (or one of our colleagues did) and now it's time to hold their feet to the fire. Find out what issues are up for debate in your area and take action. Here is a link to contact your representatives' offices and here is one to tweet them!

3) Blog about it! This blog started as a way for me to stay connected to the campaign community when I thought I was sitting out last cycle (ha!). It became a way to for me to share my thoughts, best practices, etc. I want this to be a forum for discussion on what can be an esoteric topic. I am sure you have things you'd like to share too. If you are interested in guest blogging, or you'd like me to link to a blog or article you already have set up, just let me know! Campaignsick@gmail.com

4) Volunteer! You know you want to and I'll just keep calling you if you don't! Serve.gov has great ways to get involved in your community and of course OFA!

5) Join the Club! Stay connected with a group like the Young Democrats of America. Their website is down right now, but you can find your state chapter through a quick google search.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment