Project Wonderful

Monday, November 5, 2012

See You In Victory!



This is actually my last chance to talk to CampaignSick Nation before the big day tomorrow. I keep thinking about what I can say that hasn't been said before. I already gave you my big pep talk and you have most of my good anecdotes.

I was pontificating on what to say on my way out to the dumpster with various Diet Coke and beer bottles, when I had one of those detached from reality campaign staffer experiences where I forget what state I'm in. Usually I just laugh those off, but today I found it poignant. In a way, I am in more that one office. I stand on the shoulders of giants, generations of organizers like me who have fought and endured setbacks so that we could have the progress for which we will vote tomorrow. On each new campaign I bring my former coworkers with me, in my heart; their best practices, their mistakes and the genuine lasting affection we have for one another are mine wherever I am. I'm not just in Texas. I'm in Florida, Colorado, Missouri, Connecticut and Brooklyn with them. And of course, I have all of you. I can't tell you how honored I am to be as various contributors have described me, your "big sister," "field director to the world" and the "organizers' fairy godmother." I want you to know that I am with you as well and I wish I could be there with each and every one of you to celebrate with or comfort you tomorrow evening.

There are many times I will tell you to be less dramatic or to keep it together, but this is not one of them. The truth is I get super emo at this point. This job is special, damnit and important. Whether you never work a campaign again or you make this your career you will look back on these times fondly and never be 40, working an office job and wonder if you could have done something more worthwhile with your youth. I believe our candidates are going to win tomorrow, but I also believe that they would lose without a world class turnout operation. Right now, at this moment, you have the most important job in the world.

I could not think of a bigger blessing as I near my (yikes!) 28th birthday this Thursday than to have the love and respect of the people and profession to whom I have devoted my life and whom I love. I thank God every day for the honor and responsibility of connecting with so many progressive organizers who care about our country and strive to make it and themselves better. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

From one organizer to another, give 'em hell tomorrow.

See you in Victory!

Nance

No comments:

Post a Comment